Friday, September 10, 2010

Lazy Sunday cooking

Trusty
Because pancakes and choc chip cookies are hard to stuff up.

Lazy Sunday cooking

Not that pancakes or choc chip cookies are particularly hard or a challenge to make, but it is nice to know that when you want to make them on a lazy Sunday, they turn out just how you want them to.

I love making breakfast on a Sunday morning. Emperor D is quite partial to pancakes, and I’ve found a fool-proof recipe from domestic goddess Donna Hay. They’re so easy to make – butter, flour, sugar, eggs, milk, buttermilk – why on earth would you buy one of those shake’n’bake things where you add water? Urgh.

Pancakes, coulis and marscapone
So here is my effort from Sunday morning a couple of weeks back. I add a dollop of marscapone cheese (sometimes with a drop of vanilla in it) and usually raspberry coulis. I was making the coulis for awhile – which again, is pretty simple by just reducing frozen raspberries in a saucepan with some sugar – but when you can buy some pretty amazing coulis from Providore, why bother? My patience on Sunday mornings only goes so far. Occasionally, when I’m feeling quite wicked, I’ll make caramel sauce with it. But I have to admit, I haven’t done that for awhile. Emperor D on the other hand is easy to please; he tops his stack with traditional maple syrup – the real stuff from Canada that costs $10 a bottle. It is pretty good though.

Milk and cookies is such an American thing (come to think of it, so are pancakes), but every time I make Donna Hay’s Chocolate Chip Cookies I feel like I should have a big glass of milk with it. I'm one of these people who love milk by itself, by the way – as long as it’s really cold.

Chunky chocolate goodness!
I’ve made these so many times; they really are a simple classic. These have coconut in them, which I love, so they’re even more decadent. Again, they’re made with simple stuff – eggs, flour, coconut, brown sugar, vanilla, butter, and chocolate. The chocolate part is the key, as you can add milk or dark chocolate in either big massive chunks (my preference) or in little buds.

My favourite thing with these is, just after they’ve come out of the oven, I let them cool for a couple of minutes and then sneak a couple while they’re still warm; the chocolate is all gooey inside. Oh, yum! Then, once they’ve cooled completely, I love to get a burst of chocolate when I bite in and hit a chocolate chunk. Oh, and don’t forget the milk.

Lastly, you might have noticed that on the top of this post, I’ve added the word Trusty. That’s part of my new rating system – Triumph, Trusty, and Tragedy. I think they speak for themselves. I’ve updated my old posts with the ratings too, so check those out and keep a look out for what I rate my efforts in posts to come!  

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! Looks delicious and much better than my chocolate cake effort from a few weeks ago. Mind you, it tasted good, which was all I was after. Scoff scoff oink oink.

    ReplyDelete